- Take children to their medical appointments, whether or not they have HIV. (Explore ride share, Uber, bus passes, etc.)
- Assist with medication administration.
- Act as surrogates (e.g., taking children to school and providing general care) if HIV(+) moms become incapacitated and incapable of providing care.
- Provide social support for children (“play dates,” programs, etc.).
- Obtain a list of children who are receiving extra support from school systems to link them to additional support that they might receive at home.
- Establish connections between mothers (peer support/buddy system, etc.).
- Support children’s education by providing access to virtual learning environments (particularly in response to the environment presented by the coronavirus pandemic).
- Identify and partner with respite care providers in Memphis area.
- Select 4 of the 39 respite care facilities in Memphis to potentially receive funds.
- Collaborate with Ryan White Part D for assessment of additional awards of funds to provide services for respite care for women, infant, children, or youth (WICY).
- Review and/or advocate for change in standards of care for RW Part D eligibility for persons tangibly affected by the experiences of PWH (WICY: Women, infant, children or youth; pursue the intricate work of changing policy so that services are extended to adult children of PWH).
- Support connections for RW Part D subrecipients for psychosocial support services and create groups specifically for caretakers.
Provide supportive services for children of mothers with ailing health related to HIV
High Priority and Disruptively Innovative
Potential Funding Sources
HRSA, Memphis Grizzlies, TN Medicaid/Medicare
Estimated Funding Allocation
- Cost of respite care averages between $210-$405 per day w/ mean annual cost of $67,525
- Food, supplies, etc. -$10,825
- Locations for activities -$10,825
- Staff to complete activities -$10,825
(Reported annually, locally monitored more frequently)
- # of respite care organizations supporting PWH families
- # of virtual leaning site and participants
- # of volunteers and “Acts as surrogates”